The Works of Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.
“I should have written more books,” responded Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr., when asked to name his biggest regret in an interview with the New
York Times Book Review.
- Orestes A. Brownson: A Pilgrim's Progress (Catholic Book Club selection), Little, Brown, 1939, published as A Pilgrim's Progress: Orestes A. Brownson, 1966.
- The Age of Jackson, Little, Brown, 1945, reprinted, 1968, abridged edition, New American Library, 1962.
- The Vital Center: The Politics of Freedom, Houghton Mifflin, 1949, published as The Politics of Freedom, Heinemann, 1950.
- (With Richard H. Rovere) The General and the President and the Future of American Foreign Policy, Farrar, Straus, 1951, revised edition published as The MacArthur Controversy
and American Foreign Policy, 1965, published with a new introduction by Schlesinger as General MacArthur and President Truman: The Struggle for Control of American Foreign Policy, Transaction
- The Age of Roosevelt, Houghton Mifflin, Volume 1: The Crisis of the Old Order, 1919-1933 (Book-of-the-Month Club selection), 1957, reprinted, 1988, Volume 2: The Coming
of the New Deal (Book-of-the-Month Club selection), 1959, reprinted, 1988, Volume 3: The Politics of Upheaval (Book-of-the-Month Club selection), 1960, reprinted, 1988.
- Kennedy or Nixon: Does It Make Any Difference?, Macmillan, 1960.
- The Politics of Hope (essays), Houghton Mifflin, 1963.
- (With others) The National Experience, Harcourt, 1963, 7th edition, 1989.
- A Thousand Days: John F. Kennedy in the White House, Houghton Mifflin, 1965, reprinted, Greenwich House, 1983.
- The Bitter Heritage: Vietnam and American Democracy, 1941-1966, Houghton Mifflin, 1967.
- The Crisis of Confidence: Ideas, Power, and Violence in America, Houghton Mifflin, 1969.
- (With Lloyd C. Gardner and Hans J. Morgenthau) The Origins of the Cold War, Ginn-Blaisdell, 1970.
- The Imperial Presidency, Houghton Mifflin, 1973.
- Robert Kennedy and His Times, Houghton Mifflin, 1978.
- The Cycles of American History, Houghton Mifflin, 1986.
- The Disuniting of America: Reflections on a Multicultural Society, Whittle Direct Books, 1991, revised edition, Norton, 1997.
- A Life in the 20th Century: Innocent Beginnings, 1917-1950 (memoirs; first volume), Houghton Mifflin, 2000.
- War and the American Presidency, W.W. Norton, 2004.
- (Author of foreword) Arthur M. Schlesinger, Sr., Paths to the Present, revised and enlarged edition, Houghton Mifflin, 1964.
- (Author of preface) Arthur M. Schlesinger, The American as Reformer, Harvard University Press, 1968.
- (Author of introduction) Arthur M. Schlesinger, The Birth of a Nation: A Portrait of the American People on the Eve of Independence, Knopf, 1968.
- (Author of introduction) Arthur M. Schlesinger, Nothing Stands Still: Essays, Belknap Press, 1969.
- (Consulting editor) A History of American Life, Scribner, 1996.
Contributor to Four Portraits and One Subject: Bernard De Voto, Houghton, 1963. Also author of television screenplay, The Journey of Robert F. Kennedy. Author of pamphlets on
political subjects. Author of introduction for "World Leaders Past Present" series,
fifty-six volumes, and "Know Your Government" series, for Chelsea House.
Movie reviewer for Show, 1962-64, Vogue, 1966-72, and Saturday Review, 1977-80; member
of jury, Cannes Film Festival, 1964.
Contributor to magazines and to newspapers, including Wall Street Journal.
Schlesinger's papers are collected in the John F. Kennedy Library in Boston, Massachusetts.
Source: Contemporary Authors Online, Thomson Gale, 2004
Gale Database: Contemporary Authors
top of page