Awards and Honors
- Croix de Guerre and Chevalier, Legion d’honneur (France), 1919
- Pulitzer Prize for fiction, for Early Autumn, 1927
- O. Henry Short Story Award for “The Scarlet,” 1927; and “The Skeleton at the Feast,” 1928
- Audubon medal, for leadership in conservation farming, 1952
- Honorary degrees: Marshall College, Parsons College and Ohio Northern University
- Elected to the Ohio Agricultural Hall of Fame (posthumously), 1980
Dedication of the Louis Bromfield lobby, Ohio Department of Agriculture headquarters, Reynoldsburg, Ohio, 1996.