The Ohio Connection
- Karen Harper was born in Toledo, Ohio.
- She received her Bachelor’s and Masters’ degrees from The Ohio State University, where she also taught as a graduate student.
- Karen taught English at Whetstone High School in Columbus from 1970 to 1975.
- She was then chairperson for the Department of English at Westerville North High School for 10 years, from 1975 to 1985.
- Karen Harper dedicated her first Elizabeth I Mystery, The Poyson Garden, to her students at Whetstone High School.
- Several of her contemporary suspense novels take place in Ohio Amish country: the trilogy of Dark Road Home, Dark Harvest and The Dark Angel takes place in Holmes County, as do Down to the Bone and Shaker Run.
- Central Ohio Fiction Writers’ Web site (https://www.cofw.org/Authors_Pages/Karen_Harper/karen_harper.html) describes Shaker Run: “Kate Marburn thought she had found a safe haven living and working in a historic Ohio Shaker village, but she’s dead wrong.”