The Works of Fannie Hurst
- Just around the Corner (stories), Harper, 1914.
- Every Soul Hath Its Song (stories), Harper, 1916.
- Gaslight Sonatas (stories), Harper, 1918.
- Humoresque (stories), Knopf, 1919.
- Star-dust: The Story of an American Girl, Harper, 1921.
- The Vertical City (stories), Harper, 1922.
- Lummox, Harper, 1923, with an introduction by Alice Childress, New American Library, 1989.
- Appassionata, Knopf, 1926.
- Mannequin, Knopf, 1926.
- Song of Life (stories), Knopf, 1927.
- A President Is Born, Harper, 1928.
- Five and Ten, Harper, 1929.
- Procession (stories), Harper, 1929.
- Back Street, Cosmopolitan Book Corp., 1931.
- Imitation of Life, Harper, 1933.
- Anitra’s Dance, Harper, 1934.
- No Food with My Meals (nonfiction), Harper, 1935.
- Great Laughter, Harper, 1936.
- We Are Ten (stories), Harper, 1937.
- Today Is Ladies’ Day, Home Institute, 1939.
- Lonely Parade, Harper, 1942.
- White Christmas, Doubleday, Doran, 1942.
- Hallelujah, Harper, 1944.
- The Hands of Veronica, Harper, 1947.
- Anywoman, Harper, 1950.
- Four Daughters (three-act comedy), Longmans, Green, circa 1950.
- The Name Is Mary, Dell, 1951.
- The Man with One Head, J. Cape, 1953.
- Anatomy of Me: a Wonderer in Search of Herself (autobiography), Doubleday, 1958.
- Family!, Doubleday, 1960.
- God Must Be Sad, Doubleday, 1961.
- Fool, Be Still, Doubleday, 1964.
Other plays produced include Land of the Free, 1919, and Back Pay, 1921. Twelve film scripts include Humoresque, Four Daughters, Back Street, Imitation of Life, and Symphony of Six Million. Contributor to Cosmopolitan, Redbook, and other magazines.
Media Adaptations: Imitation of Life was adapted for film by Preston Sturges in 1934 and starred Claudette Colbert; a second version, starring Lana Turner, was directed by Douglas Sirk in 1959.