Awards and Honors
- 1936 – President’s Award – National Academy of Design
- 1939 – Prix de Rome, an annual award for promising young scholars and artists presented each year by the American Academy in Rome. Program began in 1663 under the reign of King Louis XIV of France.
- 1942 – Caldecott Medal for Make Way for Ducklings
- 1947 – Pacific Northwest Library Association’s Young Readers’ Choice Award
- 1949 – Caldecott Medal honor book award for Blueberries for Sal
- 1949 – Ohioana Book Award, Blueberries for Sal
- 1953 – Caldecott Medal honor book award for One Morning in Maine
- 1958 – Ohioana Book Award, Time of Wonder
- 1958 – Caldecott Medal for Time of Wonder
- 1964 – Doctor of Literature, Miami University, Oxford, OH
- 1967 – Doctor of Letters, Mount Holyoke College
- 1974 – Catholic Library Association’s Regina Medal for “continued distinguished contribution to children’s literature”
- 1990 – Doctor of Literature, University of Maine
- 2000 – Living Legend Award, presented by the Library of Congress.
Make Way for Ducklings, Homer Price, Blueberries for Sal, One Morning in Maine, and Time of Wonder have been selected as notable books by the American Library Association.