The Ohio Connection
In 1946 Serling began taking classes at Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio. At first he majored in physical education, but he soon changed his emphasis to literature and began writing stories.
- Rod Serling wrote, directed, and acted in many productions for the campus radio station at Antioch. He was also a “continuity writer” for WLW radio in Cincinnati, and wrote for WKRC-TV in Cincinnati.
- Serling received his Bachelor’s degree from Antioch College in 1950, and continued to work at WKRC-TV until 1953.
- Serling returned to Antioch in 1962 to teach dramatic writing for a year.
- Mrs. Jeanne Porreca of Lima, Ohio, recalls meeting Rod Serling and getting a hamburger with him in Dayton, Ohio in the 1960s. https://www.rodserling.com/hamburger.htm
- An article from the Cincinnati Post reflects on Serling’s time in Ohio https://www.rodserling.com/CincyPost.htm:
“…though his time in southwestern Ohio was brief – combined with his years at Antioch, less than a decade – it was a period that Serling himself acknowledged shaped the Midwestern sensibility reflected in much of his writing.”