Awards and Honors
- 1950 – Guggenheim fellowship in fiction
- 1952 – National Institute of Arts and Letters grant in literature
- 1955 – Fulbright fellowship to France
- 1959 – first prize, O. Henry Memorial Awards, for short story “Venus, Cupid, Folly and Time”
- 1960 – Ohioana Book Award, for Happy Families Are All Alike
- 1961 – Ford Foundation fellowship, to work at the Royal Court Theater, English Stage Company, in London.
- 1964 – Rockefeller Foundation grant
- second prize, Partisan Review-Dial for short story “The Scoutmaster”
- 1979 – National Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters gold medal for literature
- 1986 – Ritz Paris Hemingway Award and PEN/Faulkner Award for fiction, both for A Summons to Memphis
- 1987 – Pulitzer Prize for fiction, for A Summons to Memphis.