The Works of James Thurber
Essays and Stories
- (With E. B. White) Is Sex Necessary?; or, Why You Feel the Way You Do, Harper, 1929.
- The Owl in the Attic and Other Perplexities, Harper, 1931.
- The Seal in the Bedroom and Other Predicaments, introduction by Dorothy Parker, Harper, 1932.
- My Life and Hard Times (includes The Night the Bed Fell, The Day the Dam Broke, and More Alarms at Night; also see below), Harper, 1933.
- The Middle-Aged Man on the Flying Trapeze: A Collection of Short Pieces (includes One Is a Wanderer and Mr. Preble Gets Rid of His Wife), Harper, 1935.
- Let Your Mind Alone!, and Other More or Less Inspirational Pieces, Harper, 1937.
- The Last Flower: A Parable in Pictures (also see below), Harper, 1939.
- Cream of Thurber, Hamish Hamilton, 1939.
- Fables for Our Time and Famous Poems Illustrated (includes Little Red Riding Hood and The Green Isle in the Sea), Harper, 1940.
- My World—and Welcome to It (includes The Secret Life of Walter Mitty; also see below), Harcourt, 1942.
- Thurber’s Men, Women, and Dogs, Harcourt, 1943.
- The Thurber Carnival, Harper, 1945, abridged edition published as Selected Humorous Stories from “The Thurber Carnival,” edited by Karl Botzenmayer, F. Shoeningh, 1958.
- The Beast in Me and Other Animals: A Collection of Pieces and Drawings about Human Beings and Less Alarming Creatures, Harcourt, 1948.
- The Thurber Album: A New Collection of Pieces about People, Simon & Schuster, 1952.
- Thurber Country: A New Collection of Pieces about People, Simon & Schuster, 1953.
- Thurber’s Dogs: A Collection of the Master’s Dogs, Simon & Schuster, 1955.
- A Thurber Garland, Hamish Hamilton, 1955.
- Further Fables for Our Time, Simon & Schuster, 1956.
- Alarms and Diversions, Harper, 1957.
- The Years with Ross (Book-of-the-Month Club selection), Little, Brown, 1959.
- Lanterns and Lances, Harper, 1961.
- Credos and Curios, Harper, 1962.
- Vintage Thurber, two volumes, Hamish Hamilton, 1963.
- Thurber & Company, introduction by Helen Thurber, Harper, 1966.
- Snapshot of a Dog, Associated Educational Services, 1966.
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (also see below), Associated Educational Services, 1967.
- The Catbird Seat, Associated Educational Services, 1967.
- Selected Letters of James Thurber, edited by his wife, Helen Thurber, and Edward Weeks, Little Brown, 1981.
- The Night the Ghost Got In, Creative Education, Inc., 1983.
- In a Word, Harper, 1989.
- Collecting Himself: James Thurber On Writing and Writers, Humor and Himself, Harper, 1990.
- The Years with Ross, Perennial Classics, 2001.
The Thurber Letters: The Wit, Wisdom, and Surprising Life of James Thurber, Simon & Schuster, 2003.